Sunken Eyes: 4 Things You Should Know
Many people develop the condition of sunken eyes over time. This dramatic change can leave the delicate skin under the eye dark and hollow. Sometimes this condition will manifest almost over night. Here is the scoop:
Causes of Sunken Eyes
One day you look in the mirror and the delicate skin under your eyes has a dark, unattractive hue.
Here are a few reasons why this dramatic change occurs:
- Genetics: One of the key reasons why one person develops sunken eyes, also called hollow eyes, as they age and another does not is simply genetics. If one of your parents has sunken eyes then the chances of you developing the look increase dramatically.
- Facial Structure: Another cause of sunken eyes is simply your natural facial makeup. If you have deep set eyes then as you age your eyes will start to appear sunken.
- Aging: Fat loss in the face occurs naturally as you age. The padding on your cheekbones and under your eyes starts to decrease and collagen also depletes. This can add as much as ten years onto your age as the eyes become darker and deeper set.
- Weight Loss: Extreme weight loss can also cause sunken eyes. The fat depletes on the face and makes the eyes appear to be set more back in the sockets.
Plastic Surgery Options for Sunken Eyes
There are plastic surgery options that can diminish the look of sunken eyes.
Here are three of the most popular:
- Eyelid Lift: The eyes and the forehead tend to be the first regions of the face that start to show aging. Through the years, the heaviness of the forehead starts to pull the brows lower which makes the eyes appear sunken. An eyelid lift is a minor surgical procedure which involves a few very small incisions that are hidden by the hairline. The results are immediate and the recovery time is minimal.
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift: Severely sunken eyes can impact your eyesight. An upper and lower eyelid lift, also known as a blepharoplasty, is a method used to remove loose, sagging skin around the eyes and also unnatural fat deposits. The reconstructed area is tighter, younger, and creates a more dramatic eye appearance. Combining a lift with other procedures such as a brow lift, peri-ocular resurfacing and fat grafting to the eye area renders an even younger eye look.
- Fat Grafting: As your face ages it starts to lose fat, bone, and muscle. The more significant the losses, the greater your appearance will be altered. Refilling in a sunken face with the patient’s own fat is an ideal way to create a more youthful appearance. Fat is often more beneficial then fillers because there are no allergic reactions to your own fat deposits. The fat is removed from the patient’s body and then reinjected into the face in key areas. Fat grafting is a natural and efficient method to reduce the appearance of shrunken eyes.
Dr. Vargas and her trained medical professionals at the Vargas Face and Skin Center will be happy to consult with you on the many options that are available to reduce the appearance of sunken eyes. Please call today to schedule a consultation.