Numbers show liposuction was the most popular way to enhance physical appearance surgically in 2021.…
Eye wrinkles are often kindly referred to as ‘laugh lines’ but even though the term sounds pleasant, but no one is laughing about fine lines. Typically, the first area of the face to show signs of aging is the delicate region around the eyes. The wrinkles develop as a result of natural aging but also can develop with unhealthy lifestyle choices and environmental exposure.
What Causes Eye Wrinkles?
Here are the four main things that cause eye wrinkles to develop:
- Lack of Sunglasses: The harsh glare of the sun causes you to squint naturally. Usually, you don’t even realize that you are squinting to avoid the bright light, but the daily activities can have dramatic ramifications on the delicate skin around your eyes. Fine lines and wrinkles can come quickly from the repetitive facial motions. Over time, squinting breaks down collagen, and then fine lines become permanent fixtures on your face.
- Rubbing and Tugging: When you are tired, you might rub and tug your eyes. Also when removing makeup, you may be a bit rough on the delicate skin. The harsh treatment causes crinkling and fine lines. Any time you remove makeup or wash your face, you should take extra care around the eyes.
- Sleep Positions: Years of sleeping on your stomach or side causes your face to be smashed against a pillow. The constant creasing destroys collagen and causes permanent wrinkles to develop on your face and around your eyes. To avoid wrinkling, you should try to train yourself to sleep on your back.
- Sun: The sun is probably the most significant contributor to eye wrinkles. The damaging UV light penetrates the delicate skin and rapidly destroys collagen and elastin which causes permanent, severe lines to develop.
Anti-Wrinkle Serums and Cosmetic Procedures
Many people turn to over-the-counter serums to fight the signs of aging, but these often provide only minimal results and improvements. If you have started to exhibit eye wrinkles, then it might be time to explore various cosmetic surgery options that might effectively target and treat the unsightly lines.
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift: An eyelid lift, often referred to as blepharoplasty, removes sagging skin and fat from the lower and upper eyelids to create a younger appearance. As you age, loose and sagging skin around the eyelid distorts the shape of your eyes and can make you look tired. In extreme cases, your vision may even be impaired. The surgery will remove the excess skin to reduce sagging. Puffiness and bags that frequently form beneath the lower lids will also be targeted. Lower eyelid droopiness is also lifted and smoothed.
- Brow Lift: Gravity, aging, and environmental effects all cause your brow to start to show wrinkling and sagging. Unfortunately, when you brow droops it pulls your eyebrows lower over your eyes and your entire eye region takes on a droopy, wrinkled appearance. A brow lift smooths away forehead wrinkles, lifts your eyebrows to reduce eye wrinkling and provides you with a bright-eyed, youthful appearance.
- Botox: Botulinum toxins, commonly called ‘Botox,’ relax the muscles at the injection site to prevent them from repeatedly creasing and breaking down collagen. The area that receives the Botox injections will start to take on a smoother appearance and prevent more severe wrinkles from forming. It is an excellent option to reduce the occurrence and severity of lines.
If you want to explore your options to treat eye wrinkles, contact the Vargas Face & Skin Center today to book a consultation.