One in five adults in the U.S. has varicose veins, and almost everyone has a…
Everything You Need to Know About Beard Hair Transplants
Considered as a symbol of masculinity and strength, a full, thick beard can make a man look more mature and confident. But not everyone is granted such a feature. This is one of the reasons beard hair transplants have become a popular cosmetic procedure.
According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS), facial hair implants (beard and mustache) increased 121% from 2014 to 2019. Despite the hype, many are still wondering if getting a beard hair transplant is worth it. The potential risks and the hefty price tag of the procedure are among the most common concerns that interested patients bring up.
This comprehensive guide on beard hair transplants will help you decide if you should get one or not.
Why Do I Have a Thin or Patchy Beard?
Men with thin or patchy beards are the most obvious candidates for beard hair transplant. But it’s important to understand first why this is so. While there is no main reason for this condition, let’s take a look at the possible factors that affect your facial hair growth.
- Hormones: Hormones such as testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) play a key role in beard growth. These hormones stimulate hair follicles to grow thicker and longer hair on the face, particularly in the beard area. Men with higher levels of these hormones tend to have more robust and denser beards.
- Genetics: Genetics play a significant role in determining the growth and thickness of a man’s beard. The genes passed down from the father and mother can affect the distribution of facial hair, as well as the speed and thickness of beard growth.
- Alopecia: This medical condition causes hair loss on the scalp and other areas of the body, including the beard. In some cases, alopecia is responsible for complete hair loss in the beard area, resulting in patchy or bald spots.
- Lifestyle: One distant-yet-possible cause for thin and patchy beard is a man’s lifestyle. Poor lifestyle choices, such as smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, can have a negative impact on beard growth.
What Is a Beard Hair Transplant?
A beard hair transplant is a type of facial hair transplant that fills in patchy areas of beards in order to construct sideburns, goatees, or full beards. The procedure uses hair from the back of the scalp, which is the perfect match for the coarse texture of beards, and transfers them onto the cheeks, jawline, and other areas of the face. The result is a natural-looking beard that will last for a long time.
There are two main approaches to a beard hair transplant:
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): In this approach, follicular units are harvested one at a time from the donor area. This is the more commonly performed procedure since it’s less painful.
- Follicular unit transplantation: This approach will have the surgeon cut a small strip of tissue from the back of the head and remove the hair follicles from that tissue.
A follicular unit refers to the small grouping of hair follicles that emerge on the skin through the same exit point. A graft is a transplanted hair follicle. Both procedures take around 2,000-5,000 hair follicle grafts from the back of the head, usually aligned with your ear level or lower, and implant them on your face.
FAQs About Beard Hair Transplant
How much does a full beard hair transplant cost?
The cost of a beard transplant may vary depending on the location, the surgeon, and the number of grafts needed. In general, a full beard transplant can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000. Given that the procedure isn’t cheap, it’s critical that you feel comfortable and confident with the hair transplant specialist you’re working with. Take the time to research and familiarize yourself with the procedure before booking an appointment.
Do beard hair transplants last forever?
Beard hair transplants are considered permanent. The transplanted hairs will continue to grow in the new location just like they would regularly grow on the scalp. However, keep in mind that natural hair loss can still occur over time, which may affect the appearance of the beard.
How long does a beard hair transplant last?
The results of a beard hair transplant can last for many years, but they can also vary depending on the person. Some men may want to have touch-up procedures to maintain the desired appearance of their beard over time.
What is the best age for a beard hair transplant?
While there is no required age for getting a beard hair transplant, it is recommended for patients over the age of 25, as this is when the facial hair is fully developed. It’s best to consult your chosen surgeon first if you are eligible for the procedure.
How many grafts do I need for a full beard transplant?
This can also vary depending on the person and their desired density level. On average, a full beard transplant may require anywhere from 2,500 to 3,000 grafts. The patient may ask the surgeon to add more for the sideburns and mustache if they like.
How many grafts does a goatee have?
A typical goatee transplant may require anywhere from 600 to 700 grafts, depending on the person’s desired density level.
Is 1,000 FUE grafts enough?
This will also depend entirely on the person and their desired density level. For some patients, 1,000 FUE grafts may be enough to achieve the desired level of density for a specific area, while for others, more grafts may be needed. It is important to have a consultation with a qualified surgeon to discuss your individual needs and expectations.
Are Beard Hair Transplants Worth It?
Whether or not a beard hair transplant is worth it depends on your personal goals and expectations. For some men, a fuller, thicker beard can boost their self-confidence and help them feel more attractive. For others, the cost and the potential risks may not be worth it.
Whatever decision you make, always have a consultation with a qualified and experienced surgeon to discuss your goals, expectations, and any potential risks before deciding to undergo a beard hair transplant.
Enhance Your Facial Hair With Vargas Face & Skin Center
At Vargas Face & Skin Center, our qualified and experienced professionals will assist you in choosing any of our hair transplant procedures, including beard hair transplant. Experience a smooth consultation and safe procedure, and we hope we can empower you to feel more confident with your new beard.